Religious Education and Opportunities for Youth in the
9th – 12th Grade
Registration for 9th JAM and BASIC are located on the St. Vincent de Paul Home Page
B.A.S.I.C. (Brothers And Sisters In Christ): 9-12 grades
Wednesday from 7-8:15pm in the Basement
- This Senior High Youth Group meets all year long in the basement. 9th-12th graders are all invited to connect with other Catholic friends, share their faith, be in the youth band, lead an evening or just come and listen. Friends are always welcome.
- The evening generally follows a theme chosen by the youth. Topics range from Catholic Trivia, to Sacraments or Saints, worldwide situations, teen dating or peer pressure.
- The Youth Band leads praise and worship. This very popular youth group, led by teens and guided by adults, follows this general format: Opening prayer~~Speaker/testimony (youth or adult)~~Small group discussion~~Game or activity~~Food and fellowship.
- Registration for B.A.S.I.C. registration is all year around.
9th Grade- Jesus and Me (J.A.M.)
This is a Bible based program that meets on Wednesday evenings from 6-7pm.
There is a Fall and Winter Semester.
After JAM the youth may attend BASIC from 7-8:15 pm
- The fall semester meets 6-7pm. Class Dates are: October 12th, 19th, 26th, November 2th, 9th, 16th
- The winter semester Dates are: January 11th, 18th, 25th, February 1st, 8th, 15th, 22nd, March 1st,
- J.A.M. is a prerequisite for Confirmation Program (which begins in 10th grade.)
- “Guppy Gathering” is a welcome event for Freshman, which is by upper class youth and adults in late summer.
All Religious Education class will have open registration in May.
Service Opportunities and Social Activities
Christian Ministry becomes very important to the maturing faith development of this age youth. Youth serve in the parish teaching in our Elementary RE and VBS programs as usher or lectors at Mass, Eucharistic Minister, host “Sr to Sr” party (Senior High host BINGO with Senior Citizen). SVDP and Diocesan Service projects, various activities, and camps are announced all year long Christian leadership training is ongoing through programs like Youth leadership and B.A.S.I.C. retreats.
- Oct. 16th 9-2-Pumpkin Patch One Sunday in October the senior high turns a plot of grass in the church parking lot into a pumpkin patch. They sell pumpkins to support youth ministry. This is a great photo opportunity!
- Nov. 23 (Wed.) Mission Arlington Thanksgiving is a junior and senior high join project. We take group of volunteer to Mission Arlington on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving from noon-3 pm. The youth help with the food boxes that are given away for Thanksgiving dinner the very next day. Note: We have opened this to the entire parish so that families can participate. St. Vincent’s Youth Ministry has a long standing tradition of working with Mission the day before Thanksgiving.
- Dec. 15th and 16th -Spirit of Hope St. Vincent’s hosts a Christmas party for underprivileged youth. there will be decorating for Friday night, The senior high volunteers to decorate the gym on a Thursday, wrap presents. On Friday the youth volunteers to entertain the children, and help Santa on the night of the party.
- Dec.16th Christmas Lock-In: After volunteering at the Spirit of Hope Party (see Service Opportunities below), we rent the ice skating rink at the Parks Mall for one hour, then return to St. Vincent’s for a Lock-In on a Friday night in December.
- Dec. 11th – Cookies with Santa is a youth lead event that is held during a Sunday before Christmas after every mass.
- Feb. 5,2017 – Souper Bowl- On Super Bowl Sunday, the youth collect cash donations after the Masses for the poor in our community.
- TBA-Easter Egg Hunt - Youth volunteer to help the children of the parish hunt for eggs
- Seder Meal - Youth volunteer to serve the meal.is the spring project on the last Wednesday in April for the entire youth ministry group.
- Texas for Life Our students get pledges for the Texans For Life to protect the unborn. An area park is rented to walk and cookout for this end of year activity.
- Camp Fort Worth This is a week long service camp for the Diocese of Fort Worth held each summer for youth in 10-12 grade.
Additional Activities will be offered throughout the year. See the Bulletin or Calendar for other opportunities.